What a Mouth Full! Grilled Teriyaki Chicken, Pineapple & Veggies Over Coconut Sticky Rice
When summer rolls around, all I want is fruit fruit fruit! I just love how sweet and refreshing it is, especially on long hot days. I would eat fruit for all three meals a day if I could.
Unfortunately, my husband is not a big fan of fruit with dinner. I was determined to find a dinner recipe that would appeal to him, and give me my fruit fix.
Found it!!! And bonus, it's on the grill so I don't technically have to do any of the cooking. I "don't know how" to use the grill. AKA, I use the grill as my excuse not to cook.
The recipe I found has you make your own Teriyaki Sauce, which is awesome if you are up to it. If you are feeling lazy (or just too hot to move) you could also use a store-bought bottle of Teriyaki. I won't judge. Check out the original recipe here!
Grilled Teriyaki Chicken, Pineapple & Veggies Over Coconut Sticky Rice
Serves: 6 Prep Time: 15 Minutes Cook Time: 30 Minutes
For the Sauce:
1/2 cup Soy Sauce
2 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
1/2 Cup and 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
1 Tbsp Honey
3/4 Tsp Ground Ginger
1 Clove Garlic, minced
2 Tsp Cornstarch
2 Tsp Water
1 Pinch Crushed Red Pepper
For the Grill:
2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
1 Zucchini, sliced lengthwise
1 Red Bell Pepper
1/2 a Pineapple, cut into spears
1 Red Onion, sliced thin
For the Coconut Rice:
2 Cups Water
1 13/5 oz can Unsweetened Coconut Milk
2 Tsp Packed Light Brown Sugar
1 Tsp Salt
2 Cups Jasmine Rice
1. Make the teriyaki sauce by adding all of the sauce ingredients to a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly for about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
2. Place raw chicken in a bowl and pour about 1/4 cup of the teriyaki sauce over it. Set aside to marinate for at least 20 minutes.
3. Prepare your grill and heat it to medium.
4. Rinse jasmine rice in a fine mesh strainer until the water runs clear.
5. Combine rinsed rice with the rest of the coconut rice ingredients in a large saucepan. Do not stir! Bring to a rapid boil, and keep at a boil until the water line has receded to just below the surface of the rice. Again, do not stir! You’ll see little holes start to form on top once the liquid is just below the surface of the rice. At this point you can reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving.
6. Cut the bell peppers into large pieces so they won’t fall through the grill grate. Drizzle some olive oil over the peppers, zucchini strips, sliced onions, and pineapple spears.
7. Grill the vegetables for a few minutes on each side, and set aside.
8. Next, grill the pineapple spears for about 2 minutes on each side, and remove to a plate.
9. Lastly, grill the chicken for about 3 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Remove to a plate to rest before slicing.
10. Add coconut rice to each serving bowl. Top with grilled veggies, pineapple and chicken. Drizzle some of the teriyaki sauce on top of each, and consume!